What will you find at St. James?
• Staff who love kids and kids who love learning
• Regular classroom prayer, faith sharing and virtues education in our classrooms
• A Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Respectful and Positive approach to everything we do
• A complete and enriching approach to the BC Ministry of Education’s K – 7 Curriculum
• Regular computer lab and library access and instruction
• French instruction and integration in the classroom from K – 7
• Music instruction and integration, including voice and early instrumentation
• An openness and encouragement of family participation, with a number of family-oriented events planned throughout the year.
• Core Academic Subjects (Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies)
• Computer Technology
• Visual Arts
• French from K – 7
• Music from K – 7
• Learning Assistance
• Learning Enrichment
Our sports programs are integrated with our local school district. Our excellent combination of staff and parent coaches provide students with sound fundamental skills and wonderful opportunities to play and have fun.
• Cross Country Running
• Track & Field
We have extracurricular activities throughout the year to appeal to a range of interests and talents, including:
- Ishmael’s Spear-it Reading Extragavenza!
- The SJS Christmas Choir
- Irish Dancing
We believe that school should be a place where each student is:
• known and cared about as an individual.
• challenged to meet high standards.
• encouraged to discover their own unique, God-given talents and abilities.
Here at St. James School excellent teachers bring their Christian faith into all subjects, at all grade levels. Teachers recognize that each child is unique and created in the image of God, and helps them to reach their highest potential. Parents are involved and welcomed into the classroom and in all levels of school operations, encouraging staff and forming a caring community of students and adults.
At St. James School, students learn to reach out with their heart, mind, and soul to the world around them. They are challenged to put into practice what they have learned. Our goal is to prepare students to serve God and the world around them by gaining knowledge, information, and vision. We prepare young women and men to bring Christ’s name and power into every part of society.
Recognizing that children bear the image and likeness of God into the world, we seek to help them develop as complete persons whose lives are marked by love for the Lord, and a desire to do His will.
St. James school also exists to enrich the Catholic Community. In partnership with parents, we prepare our students to become full and active members of the Catholic Church, to serve others, and to make a difference in the world.
Building community with families, students, and staff is a vital, ongoing experience at St. James Catholic School. The commitment to a Catholic education that is shared by all provides a fertile environment for the growth of meaningful relationships.
St. James School… Learning with Spirit!
St. James is an accredited Group 1 independent school. Teachers at St. James School are professionally certified and dedicated to excellence in teaching the provincially recognized curriculum while sharing and nurturing faith and virtues education.
You can count on:
- Experienced, knowledgeable and caring teachers & staff
- Virtues education, inspired by faith, motivated by love
- S.H.A.R.P. students and staff: safe, helpful, accountable, respectful, and positive
- Wonderful field trips at all grade levels
- Close to Polson Park, the new Vernon Public Library, and the Okanagan Science Centre
- Extended playground supervision, from 7:45am-4:30pm.